The Center for Collaborative Investigative Journalism (CCIJ) is looking for a part-time Digital Marketing Manager to work in a virtual newsroom that weaves investigative narratives, visuals, and data into compelling data-driven stories. You will work closely with CCIJ’s core team and an international group of journalists to support and promote our mission and ongoing global projects.
A skilled storyteller and strategist, the Digital Marketing Manager will conceive, execute, manage, and evaluate the digital marketing strategy which will play a crucial role in our organization’s growth and brand awareness. This role will work closely with our core team to create a marketing strategy for each of our investigative projects.
Candidates should have a passion for journalism and experience in developing and managing international marketing campaigns for nonprofit organizations. CCIJ is particularly interested in candidates with experience working with African audiences.
- Develop, manage, and execute marketing campaigns through all available web, social media, SMS, and email platforms
- Manage and execute the content calendar to promote our professional development sessions, investigative projects, and fundraising campaigns.
- Monitor, measure, analyze and report campaign performance against overall objectives and make recommendations on optimization.
- Work closely with the Design Director to develop an SEO strategy to drive traffic to our CCIJ organizational website and our publication website, Veza.
- Collaborate with CCIJ core team members and journalists to develop a marketing strategy for each investigative project.
- Day-to-day management of all digital and social media platforms.
- Manage and upload content to our YouTube and podcast channels
Preferred qualifications and attributes we seek for this role:
- Bachelor’s degree or National Diploma in Marketing, Communication, Media Studies or related field
- 5 years of experience in marketing leading social media and brand awareness strategies
- Proficiency in digital marketing and analytics tools such as Google Analytics.
- Experience with SMS marketing is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute marketing campaigns to global audiences. Communication experience with an African audience is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability in writing and editing digital content for a global audience
- Proficiency with media editing software (e.g. Photoshop, Canva, iMovie)
- Proficiency in social media tools and content management systems (e.g. WordPress, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Hootsuite)
- Familiar with design principles and user experience best practices
- Interpersonal communication skills, including skill in trouble-shooting and applying proactive and positive solutions to unexpected challenges.
- Adept at collaborating with visual storytellers, data scientists, and the CCIJ core team across time zones, languages and cultures.
- Comfortable working in a growth-oriented environment with regular opportunities to give and receive feedback.
This is a part-time, grant-funded, and work-from-home role that will continue throughout 2023 with a possibility of renewal. We are looking for people willing to commit 10 to 15 hours per week. The hours the Digital Marketing Manager works are flexible, and there are several required meetings per month.
We strongly value diversity. Women, people of color and members of other historically disadvantaged groups are particularly encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, work samples and two references to Jeff Kelly Lowenstein by Friday, February 17 to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The Center for Collaborative Investigative Journalism is an award-winning non-profit organization that brings together investigative reporters, data scientists and visual storytellers to carry out ongoing investigations into key global issues. We have a commitment to learning from and covering people in underserved communities and to providing opportunities to journalists who would not otherwise have the chance to participate in global projects.